The Link Between Emotional Intelligence And Success

We’re all familiar with IQ (intelligence quotient). It’s a measurement of a person’s ability to think and reason. And it’s used to determine intellectual intelligence – the higher the IQ, the higher the intellectual capabilities. For decades it’s been a logical assumption that people with higher IQs would be more successful in life. But that notion was disproved in the 90’s when the theory of emotional intelligence was introduced.

Emotional intelligence (EQ) is:

  • The ability to manage ourselves. Be aware of our emotions and be able to self-manage, self regulate or use self-control.
  • The ability to manage our relationships and be aware of the impact we have on others.
  • Living and exercising our personal values and reaching the goals and purpose we have set for our lives.

People with high EQs tend to have these five qualities in common:

  1. Change:They understand that change is a necessary part of life, and willingly adapt to it.
  2. Self-Awareness: They understand their emotions, and don’t allow their feelings to rule them. They also know their weaknesses, and don’t allow them to hold them back.
  3. Empathy: They understand, are aware of, and sensitive to, the feelings, thoughts, and experience of others avoiding stereotyping and judging too quickly.
  4. Impulse Control: They control their emotions and impulses. They typically don’t allow themselves to become too angry or jealous, and they don’t make impulsive, careless decisions.
  5. Curiosity: They have an inherent sense of interest in things and people. They ask questions and are open to new solutions.

So what do emotions have to do with success? Plenty. Research shows that only 15% of our professional success is due to our technical abilities. The other 85% is due to our skills in human relations, personality, and our ability to communicate, negotiate, and lead. In other words “people skills,” or skills related to emotional intelligence, are crucial. Effective leaders draw on their EQ to build relationships that ultimately help propel them on their career path. It’s a proven fact that people would rather do business with a person they like and trust rather than someone they don’t, regardless of product or price.

Your ability to learn is the same at age 15 as it is at 50. Emotional intelligence, on the other hand, are a set of skills that can be improved with substantial effort, guidance, and coaching.

And you should continue to develop them. A high EQ will strengthen your leadership skills and put you at a more competitive advantage.

If you’d like to discover techniques to raise your EQ, better lead teams, work with peers, and manage up, I can develop one-on-one sessions specifically targeted for one person’s needs, or create a broader workshop for a large team. Email me to uncover your true EQ.

 
Comments

No comments yet.